The Beginners Guide To The Later Beatles
In the entry The Early Beatles I dealt with the years from 1962 to 1966
In this section I will look at the later years. I always regard the Beatles as having a two part history, up to and including 1967 they were on their up from 1967 it was on the on the way to break up. Up to and including their last album, The Beatles still continued to trail blaze both with their songs and their recording techniques but , the friendships were beginning to show signs of strain. IN addition they were growing into more mature rock stars and other influences that would shape their next phases were beginning to play a significant part.
I would recommend visiting the following websites:
This gives a potted history of the band but goes outside the years 1967-70
The introductory album I would suggest is
· The Beatles 1967-70
This like its sister album, gives a good oversight of the main recordings during the second half of the Beatles career.
- Hello Goodbye gives a good idea of the Beatles at the height of psychedelic and Sgt Pepper
- Hey Jude shows the Beatles still at the top without Brian and touching the edge of live performance
- Let It Be shows tired and split Beatles who can still come together to produce a good song.
- One More: apart , unhappy in some ways divided and near the end, Get Back shows that even at the darkest of times ..The Beatles could still rock with the best of them..The Last Live performance !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- · The Beatles aka The White Album
- · Abbey Road
- · Maybe . Sgt Pepper
- The Longest Cocktail Part ..Richard Dilello
- Apple To The Core ............Peter McCabe and Robert D. Schonfeld
- · Yellow Submarine
- · Anthology
- Not on general release but well worth looking at to see how the problems of the break up looked and to witness some good music ..Let It Be.
Going a step Further.
It is interesting to look at the following
Let it Be ( The original album) vs Let It Be . Naked to see how the different parties saw this album.