Thread: Musical Heritage

United Kingdom

Default Musical Heritage

How much do you value our global musical heritage.

I suppose the vast majority of people listen only to recent music with those who take a deeper interest in music venturing back a few decades. Music from the early part of the twentieth century seems to be of importance only to a small minority of people, and of course western classical music still has its' adherents, but again it's a minority interest.

Why should this be ??

One of my main breakthroughs in recent years has been easy access via the interweb to a treasure trove of historically important music. The only problem is that there's so much of it out there...

Whatdyathink ??

Lancaster, Kentucky, United States

I guess I value it as much as anyone could.
    Like most, when I was young, I was only interested in what was current.
    As you get older I think you tend to want to know more of previous eras.
    This is probably due to getting burnt out on the current scene.
    I think I was in my 30's before I took a real interest.
    The first being classical music, then jazz.
    Other than that I probably don't go back any further than the big band era.
    Outside of current and my own collection, which dates from the 60's, big band is probably what I enjoy the most
    NPR has a program of that era on Saturdays that runs for a few hours which I really enjoy listening to.
    A man only learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people.
    Will Rogers

South Netherlands

In the 1800s the writers and poets communicated their work through the written medium of paper and we have a great legacy of work by the great poets and writers...............mostly they had some access to their medium although publishers did control who got direct access in their time and who had to wait to be discovered.............

In the first part of the 20th century this continued but as we each the middle of the century.............. some of the writers ( poets and maybe writers! ) realized that the times were a changing...........From 1950 or so on the balance has changed and the writers and poets medium the end of the fifties the medium of poetry communication to the masses was defiantly music....................................I guess that as historians look back on the later half of the twentieth century they will record that the imporant poetry was that written in the words and music of popular music and therefore the legacy of the Rock and Roll era will be well worth looking into and preserving.......................Eg The Musical Heritage will be and is Paul Simon once said " The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls "

What could be worrying, is which of the people who were considered unimportant in their day ......will one day be giants and are in danger of being lost ?
    Nice to be able to go back to trust and friendship!!!!!!!!!

It's a mixed up sensation this being alive
    Oh! it wears a man down into the ground
    It's the strangest elation
    I can't describe it
    Oh it leaves a man weary
    It makes a man frown.
    .............................Chris Simpson ( "Mixed Up Sensations" 1975 Martin's Cafe )