released Mar 23rd, 2010
from the album - Everything To Me
from all music
Atlanta R&B vocalist Monica debuted in 1995 with the platinum Top Ten singles "Don't Take It Personal (Just One of Dem Days)" and "Before You Walk Out of My Life." After appearing on LL Cool J's Mr. Smith later that year, she recorded another killer duet with Brandy, "The Boy Is Mine," which spent several weeks at the top of the singles charts during summer 1998. Her second album, also titled The Boy Is Mine, was released in July 1998. She scored a few more chart successes through the following spring, but a long period of silence marked time between albums. The much-delayed After the Storm finally hit stores in the spring of 2003 and reached the top of the Billboard 200, while the following Makings of Me took three years to materialize and hardly suffered for it, reaching the Top Ten.
Still Standing’s title track was issued as a single weeks prior to Monica’s BET reality series of the same name, which debuted in October 2009. Even though the song is a potent, low-profile anthem akin to a grown-up and feminized spin on T.I.’s “What You Know,” it topped out in the 70s of the R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart. The album seemed like it might be dead well before release until “Everything to Me” — based on Deniece Williams' 1981 quiet storm “Silly” — trailed in February and was in the Top Ten within a month, significantly raising the profile for Monica’s fifth album. Some fans will be irritated that it took Monica three-and-a-half years to follow up a ten-song album with a set of equally brief length, but Still Standing benefits from quality control and a handful of particularly strong ballads. If the album is missing anything, it’s the sharp and casual wrath last dealt in “Sideline Ho.” Instead, we get her singing different lyrics over Evelyn King's similarly cautionary and aggressive “Betcha She Don’t Love You” for “If You Were My Man” (like “Everything to Me,” a collaboration with Missy Elliott and the ever-undervalued Jazmine Sullivan), so it’s really not that much of a problem.
1. "Still Standing" (featuring Ludacris) Bryan-Michael Cox, Adonis Shropshire, Monica Arnold, Christopher Bridges Bryan-Michael Cox 4:18
2. "One In a Lifetime" Carlos McKinney, Natalie Walker, Fendi Fleurimond Los Da Mystro 4:31
3. "Stay or Go" Brandon Green, Shaffer Smith Bei Maejor, Ne-Yo 3:40
4. "Everything to Me" Melissa Elliott, Cainon Lamb, Jazmine Sullivan, Fritz Baskett, Clarence McDonald, June Deniece Williams Missy Elliott 3:17
5. "If You Were My Man" Elliott, Lamb, Sullivan, Michael Jones Missy Elliott, Lamb 3:26
6. "Mirror" James Scheffer, Andrew Fampton Jim Jonsin 4:17
7. "Here I Am" Jamal Jones, Ester Dean, Paul Dawson, Arnold, Jason Perry, Mark Hartnett Polow da Don 3:43
8. "Superman" Cox, Johntá Austin, Kevin D. Hicks, Kendrick Dean Bryan-Michael Cox, WyldCard 4:32
9. "Love All Over Me" Jermaine Dupri, Cox, Crystal Johnson Jermaine Dupri, Bryan-Michael Cox 3:50
10. "Believing In Me" Phillip Jackson, Mikkel Eriksen, Tor Erik Hermansen, Andre Lindal StarGate, Andre Lindal 4:00