Thread: Whigs - In The Dark

Lancaster, Kentucky, United States

Default Whigs - In The Dark

released Mar 16th, 2010

from the album - Kill Me Carolyne

YouTube - The Whigs - Kill Me Carolyne (Promo Only Clean Edit)

from all music

Frontman Parker Gispert, drummer Julian Dorio, and bassist Hank Sullivant formed the Whigs in 2002, while the three Athens-based musicians were attending college at the University of Georgia. With a jaunty mix of Westerberg-like swagger, alt-rock songwriting, and a heartfelt country disposition, the Whigs played their first shows around campus and soon graduated to higher-profile performances, including opening slots for the likes of the Killers, Franz Ferdinand, and the Futureheads. Recording sessions for the band's debut album, Give 'Em All a Big Fat Lip, took place in an empty frat house several years later, and the disc was independently released in 2005. By the following year, the Whigs' audience had widened considerably, prompting Rolling Stone to hail the trio as one of the "10 Artists to Watch." The bandmates graduated from college that spring, and ATO Records signed them to its roster before the year was up.

Give 'Em All a Big Fat Lip was released again in 2005, this time with ATO's help. Despite the surge of good luck, Sullivant soon exited the group to pursue a solo career as Kuroma — a project he eventually put on hold in order to join MGMT's backup band — and Tim Deaux climbed aboard as his replacement. With a revised lineup in place, the Whigs traveled to Los Angeles in 2007 to begin work on their sophomore album, eventually announcing its completion that October. Mission Control was issued in January 2008, and the band supported its release with a series of late-night TV performances and tour dates alongside the Drive-By Truckers, the Kooks, and Kings of Leon. They returned to the road with Kings of Leon in early 2009, as well, and spent much of the year's remainder writing songs for a third album. Recorded in Athens with producer Ben Allen (who had spent the previous year recording Animal Collective's highly acclaimed Merriweather Post Pavilion), In the Dark was completed in late 2009 and released the following March.

album review

Continuing their trek through the alt-rock battlefield of the ‘90s, the Whigs reach the glory years of post-grunge on their third album, In the Dark. Pumped up with muscular guitars and buffed to a high gloss by producer Ben Allen, who manages to pull a U-turn from his work with Animal Collective, In the Dark is the best album the Foo Fighters never made, with heavy guitars edged out by heavy hooks. Any traces of lingering indie affectations are sanded out — somewhat ironically so given the presence of Allen, who gives them a veneer that would guarantee them modern rock radio play if such a thing still existed in 2010 — replaced by a smooth melodic assurance, yet it’s not so beholden to the past to sound stiff. The Whigs absorbed every rock trend of the ‘90s, consciously taking in the cool stuff while the mainstream tunes seeped in, and here they turn In the Dark into something that’s a guilty pleasure for anyone raised on grunge.

Track Listing

1. Hundred / Million
    2. Black Lotus
    3. Kill Me Carolyne
    4. Someone's Daughter
    5. So Lonely
    6. Dying
    7. I Don't Even Care About The One I Love
    8. Automatic
    9. I Am For Real
    10. In The Dark
    11. Naked
    “A man only learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people.”
    Will Rogers

this album is really good.

their new video just came out today. i love it!