from clash music

Franz Ferdinand singer Alex Kapranos has ranted at his American label after they licensed a track without the band's permission.

Franz Ferdinand have always been a little bit more thoughtful than other indie acts. Perhaps it's due to their art school background, or possibly Alex Kapranos training as an English teacher - whatever the reason, they've got brains.

Which makes recent events so much more bizarre. Franz Ferdinand's American label Epic have licensed a track to McDonalds for an upcoming ad campaign, but forgot to ask the band for their thoughts.

The result? A tirade of abuse from Alex Kapranos. Venting his spleen on Twitter the singer claimed the incident was "an example of how a band falls out with their US label. Did they think we'd approve this shit?"

Continuing, the indie icon ranted: "Dirty bastards. Stupid arrogant motherfucking pig-brained arseholes. I'd rather eat a cowpat on a bun than a bloody McDonalds."

Alex Kapranos later clarified his thoughts, claiming that he was angrier with Epic - and parent company Sony - than he was with McDonalds. "I'm not really pissed off with McDonalds," he wrote."

They're just the same as any other psychopathic corporation - no more evil, no less. The psychopathic corporation I am pissed off with is Sony who owns Epic who release our records in America. But not really surprised."

The singer finished on a humorous note, joking that he had been in line to claim a sponsorship deal with regional burger chain White Castle. "I'm just pissed off because I had a sponsorship deal with White Castle on the cards which is now totally scuppered".

"I was going to get a lifetime supply of those cute (much tastier than McD) burgers and they were going to open a Dennistoun franchise."