Page 639 of 641 FirstFirst ... 139539589629637638639640641 LastLast
Results 6,381 to 6,390 of 6401

Thread: What Are You Listening To?

Missing … Presumed Having a Good Time – The Notting Hillbillies

Country rock/blues/Americana and the sole album by the band which comprised:

Mark Knopfler – guitar, vocals
    Steve Phillips – guitar, vocals
    Brendan Croker – guitar, vocals
    Guy Fletcher – keyboards, vocals
    Paul Franklin – pedal steel
    Marcus Cliffe – bass
    Ed Bicknell – drums

A jolly good time was had by all on this; not sure it’s entirely my cuppa but it’s been impeccably put together which is a real joy and pleasure - and to be expected, given the pedigrees! A mix of traditional and original songs, there are at least a handful of inspired moments … these are two of them …Steve Phillip’s “Will You Miss Me” - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RDklNBzv5Y, and

MK’s “Your Own Sweet Way” …

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson

Quote Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
    I like! Female vocalist is a nice touch, Frands! New band for me!
    I discovered the band 2 years ago when I was listening to the Irish radio station RTÉ Gold a late afternoon.The Golden Horde were a rock, punk, garage band based in Dublin, Ireland. The most renowned line-up of the band was: Simon Carmody, John Connor, Des O'Byrne, Peter O'Kennedy & Sam Steiger, although at their very first live performance, there were 13 band members on stage. The group disbanded in spring 1994, members going their separate ways to pursue a variety of personal projects. The song 'Friends In Time' became maybe their biggest hit.

Further reading: http://www.irishrock.org/irodb/bands/goldenhorde.html

___

Record Label Executive Oceansoul's Avatar

Right now, Big Big Train - The Ivy Gate. One of the songs off of the new album they released called Grimspound. https://bigbigtrain.bandcamp.com/track/the-ivy-gate
    "One must work and dare if one really wants to live." - Vincent Van Gogh

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY-HORSE View Post
    gave it a listen Jerome...a very good album mate.
    Something I did not think you would like CH!!! It's in my list of super classic albums from the 70's. It just has a beautiful flow to the whole thing. The APP never quite equalled their debut album but they have made some really good albums on the way.
    'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.

Something I would highly recommend - take a look at the list of guitarists on this release. Rock royalty. To be played loud regardless of what the neighbours might say - https://youtu.be/jzqq1FrvBKo

Not a huge fan of this man's solo stuff but he got this one right - a twist on Hendrix's classic 'Little Wing' - beauuutiful stuff. The bass end seems a little weak (as in volume) but still a gorgeous piece of music.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
    Something I did not think you would like CH!!! It's in my list of super classic albums from the 70's. It just has a beautiful flow to the whole thing. The APP never quite equalled their debut album but they have made some really good albums on the way.

there was just something in that dialogue from the opening track that had me intrigued and made me want to hear the whole thing

back to The Notting Hillbillies, I bought the single "your own sweet way" on 7" vinyl back in the day, great song...
    heard a couple of other tracks off the album that the radio played and they never did anything for me so I never bothered with that album.

Mike Oldfield - Discovery - I like this album a lot. With the heavenly-sounding Maggie Reilly. Oldfield used the Fairlight CMI as his main compositional tool for this album. It was hideously expensive at the time. Only a handful of people owned one of these thingymajigs. Apparently Mike was difficult to work with at times - you did it his way or you left.

Bowie - Station to Station - very experimental in parts. Favourite track has to be Wild is the Wind.