Page 154 of 154 FirstFirst ... 54104144152153154
Results 1,531 to 1,537 of 1537

Thread: What Are You Listening To?

Written more than 200 years ago this old folk has been covered a lot and I read somewhere mr Lennon had this in mind when writing Happy X-mas (war is over)
    But as with many other songs in their catalogue, I love this one from The Hollies
    Stewball

THE GABE DIXON BAND "the gabe dixon band" cd, 2008

career stats:
    studio albums............3

one of those $3 discount bin ones I purchased some time ago...
    never heard of them which is why I bought this, I figure you cant go wrong at that price(well, most of the time anyway)....
    figured it would be folky or country from the album cover and band name but I was wrong...
    soft rock/easy listening...
    mostly piano based ballads with some almost early 1970s Elton John type soft rock...
    even some of the melodies could have been lifted from early EJ....
    I just read on Wiki the band was influenced by Jackson Browne, Billy Joel, and of course, Elton John...
    also according to Wiki, Gabe himself played on McCartney's 2001 album Driving Rain and Macca wanted him to join his
    live band, Gabe didn't join, he was working on his own stuff and time didn't permit, so, one, he must be good for the likes
    of Macca to have him play on an album, and two, what an honour, being asked to play in Macca's live band!
    anyway, back to the album, a very, very good album with Elton all over it, one of the best discount bin surprises I ever bought.

I LOVE THIS ALBUM

worst track: disappear
    best track: till youre gone

tracks:

1...disappear *
    2...five more hours **
    3...further the sky **
    4...all will be well ***
    5...find my way ***
    6...till youre gone ***
    7...far from home **
    8...even after you **
    9...and the world turned ***
    10.sirens ***
    11.baby doll **
    ....further the sky (reprise)

3s=5
    2s=5
    1s=1

rating: 2.4

bob_32_116

^^ Yeah, that track definitely has Elton John written all over it, could easily have come from his Honky Chateau/Don't Shoot Me period.

bob_32_116

Quote Originally Posted by MFS View Post
    Written more than 200 years ago this old folk has been covered a lot and I read somewhere mr Lennon had this in mind when writing Happy X-mas (war is over)
    But as with many other songs in their catalogue, I love this one from The Hollies
    Stewball
    Now that it's pointed out, the verse melody of Happy Xmas is exactly the same as this tune. I never noticed that before, probably because it's a very common simple chord progression.

Lennon did, however, enhance it by shifting to a different key for the chorus, not to mention the vocal harmonies, which were I presume supplied by Yoko.

Record Label Executive Lovely Linda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Music Head View Post
    from the cd room

aha! this was the Nancy I was expecting
    much better than that last modern Nancy
    this is all from the 60's
    she was in her prime

this was recorded by many
    Nancy does it justice

Simply beautiful!! That is singing!

Modern Country: You don't have to stay in key. They will put you in key.. Merle Haggard

https://youtu.be/qgiILl_F7O8

Jan Garbarek on YouTube … random-ish selections. They call this jazz which is why I’m posting it here, but I’m not convinced! Ok, some of it, yes, but I don’t even know if there’s a concise way to describe what he does. Probably one of the most emotive sax players ever; he's known as much for the silences in his work as he is for his mastery of the instrument.

Some tracks I am particularly liking right now …. “Hasta Siempre” from his album Witchi-Tai-To …. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5KYZ2F9IRs

“Red Wind” from Visible Worldhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nt4GKxd7Ms

The title track from Twelve Moonshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0Jo_wcuf6o

“Brother Wind March” also from Twelve Moons https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1TjiaYUbHE

… and the powerful and somewhat menacing title track from Rites … good video match ...

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson

Giovanni Mirabassi Trio - Live At the Blue Note, Tokyo. Can’t stop listening to one particular piece that is played to perfection, IMHO, crockery clinking in the background and all! You can hear Mirabassi humming along a little bit too.

He has a beautiful light, yet sure touch ... those keys sound almost liquid at times …

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson