I realise this may be bending the rules of posting on this website, but what the hell.
Personally i am tired of modern music - quirky, upbeat, jingly-jangly indie or ridiculous dull electropop, courtesy of Lady Gaga and the rest. On the other side, there is rock - or rather, what is left of it. This can be divided into three parts. First, there is rock itself - bands such as the Foo Fighters, Nickelback, etc. While the former is quite good musically, it lacks the element i am looking for, while Nickelback has used every rock method from the past 20 or so years to create a sound as generic as it seems possible to achieve. Secondly, there is metal - bands like Slipknot, Killswitch Engage, and so on. This part i will not touch, as it is seperate from what i'm referring to and irrelevant. Finally, there is emo - bands like My Chemical Romance, Framing Hanley, 30 Seconds To Mars, Alexisonfire, and so many more. This sub-genre comes closest to achieving what i want, but unfortunately all of the bands in this category are linked by one influence - hardcore. This serves to give the bands their generic-y, clean, detached sound.
I believe that it is time for a new (or old) type of music. The key problem is that rock does not include the emotional lyrics of emo or their delivery, while emo lacks the rock that should power such music. Bands such as Nirvana and Smashing Pumpkins perfected this method spectacularly - just listen to Nevermind/In Utero/Siamese Dream/Mellon Collie.
I am in the process of creating a band to achieve this goal. However it would help me greatly if any advice could be given as to what musical elements we should include, so proper rock-charged emotional music can be returned to popularity.
Coincidentally, this post is probably aimed at readers in their teens/20s. Either post a reply or email me at stuartwilson717@hotmail.com. Thank you.