Thread: Chris Brown - Grafitti

Lancaster, Kentucky, United States

Default Chris Brown - Grafitti

released Dec 8th

from the album - Crawl
    YouTube - Kanal von ChrisBrownTV

from amg

In November 2005, Chris Brown’s Scott Storch-produced “Run It!” — a rewrite of Usher’s “Yeah!” — topped the Billboard Hot 100, making the 16-year-old singer the first male artist in over a decade to top the chart with a debut single. While there was nowhere to go but down, at least in terms of chart positions, the pop-oriented R&B vocalist was only getting started. By the end of the decade, he was one of the biggest active pop stars, with a clutch of Top Ten singles and platinum albums to his credit, along with constant comparisons to Michael Jackson and several acting roles on the side. His momentum slowed little when, in 2009, he pleaded guilty to assaulting girlfriend Rihanna — one of the year’s biggest celebrity news stories.

Brown came from a small Virginia town called Tappahannock. Like a lot of kids born since the early '80s, he was initially into his parents' favorite music but eventually fell under the spell of hip-hop. Around the time he reached puberty, he discovered his singing ability and switched his focus away from MC'ing. A move to New York led to being discovered by Tina Davis, a Def Jam A&R executive who became the singer’s manager shortly after losing her position to the Sony-BMG merger. The Jive label, due in part to its track record with younger artists who had established longevity (like Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake), won the bidding war for Brown and lined up several production and songwriting heavyweights, including Jermaine Dupri, Bryan-Michael Cox, Dre & Vidal, Sean Garrett, and Storch, for his self-titled first album. An immediate Top Ten hit when it was released in 2005, Chris Brown not only featured the number one “Run It!” but two other Top Ten singles in “Yo (Excuse Me Miss)” and “Say Goodbye.” Exclusive, released in 2007 and a bit of a departure from the squeaky-clean image displayed throughout the debut, was even more successful, featuring the number one single "Kiss Kiss" and two other Top Five hits. Yet another Top Five hit came with “No Air,” a duet with Jordin Sparks that appeared on Sparks' own self-titled album.

In March 2009, Brown was charged with felonious assault of Rihanna — an altercation that had prevented his then-girlfriend from taking the stage at the Grammy Awards. Brown was scheduled to perform as well, but he did not appear and maintained a low profile for several months. A fairly substantial backlash resulted in Brown’s songs being pulled from rotation on several radio stations. Ultimately, however, it had little bearing on the progress of his music and acting careers; the week prior to the December release of his third album, Graffiti, the single “I Can Transform Ya” was already nearing the Top 20 of the Hot 100, and his acting roles — which had already included spots in Stomp the Yard and a recurring role on The O.C. — hadn’t shown any sign of drying up.

album review

Most of Graffiti — that is, the songs that do not detail what ex-girlfriend Rihanna and the rest of the world have done to him — is a natural progression for Chris Brown. Like many young cred-seeking male singers who have just exited their teenage years, Brown clumsily emphasizes womanizing and hedonism and balances it out with a couple clean and empty ballads. Out of this portion of the album, only a couple songs leave a lasting impression, and when they do, the silly things that come out of Brown’s mouth tend to be the reason; take “As stingy as you are, I think you ready,” part of “Take My Time”’s chorus and hopefully no woman’s idea of an effective bedroom line. A two-track patch of gloopy and gawky Europop, where he’s on slightly better behavior, is at least more tolerable than the inane chest-puffing, but nothing comes close to the big singles from Brown’s first two releases. The rest of this album could not have been voiced by anyone but a delusional brat who pleaded guilty to the felonious assault of his pop star girlfriend, one who attempts to justify an unjustifiable action and considers himself the real victim. On “Famous Girl,” sonically sprightly but otherwise acidic and full of contradictions, Brown cries foul at being cheated upon by his “heartless” ex but taunts “I might have cheated in the beginning.” He accuses her of being a heartbreaker and then boasts “I’ve broken my share of hearts.” Another jab, “I was wrong for writing ‘Disturbia,'” makes it plain that the song is about Rihanna. Both “Falling Down” and the sarcastically titled “Lucky Me” could lead a onetime sympathizer to fantasize about pulling a Chris Brown on Chris Brown. In these songs, Brown is exceptionally insufferable, conveying that his unimaginable wealth and social privileges are no consolation for being put through the ringer. “Even though I’m so damaged, I gotta pick myself up and perform for the crowd” is capped with “You don’t even know how hard it is, do you?” He also lets his listeners know that he has had to do photo shoots when he has not felt like smiling, and that he has “given up everything in exchange for being alone.” Maybe his supporters should be considerate and assist in putting the young man out of his misery. If they stop purchasing his recordings, concert tickets, and merchandise, the evil entertainment industry, all media outlets, and potential heartbreakers will lose interest and loosen their grip on him.

Track Listing

1 I Can Transform Ya Bereal, Boyd, Brown, Dean ... 3:48
    2 Sing Like Me Bigg Makk, Brown, Lennon ... 4:15
    3 Crawl Atweh, Boyd, Brown, Messinger 3:56
    4 So Cold Brown, Dawson, Dean, Jones ... 3:38
    5 What I Do Boyd, Boyd, Brown, Cossim, Harr ... 4:00
    6 Famous Girl Bereal, Boyd, Brown, Leslie 3:39
    7 Take My Time Brown, Henderson, Whitacre 4:38
    8 I.Y.A. Baptiste, Brown, Buendia ... 3:08
    9 Pass Out Brown, Kennedy, Merritt 3:53
    10 Wait Bereal, Brown, Dawson, Jones ... 4:30
    11 Lucky Me Brown, Hill, Love, Thomas ... 5:10
    12 Fallin Bereal, Boyd, Brown 4:11
    13 I'll Go Fauntleroy, Kennedy 3:05
    Last edited by Music Head; 09-12-2009 at 01:03.
    A man only learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people.
    Will Rogers