Caught a lift out to Bathurst Base Hospital with my mate John Kearns who had kindly offered to take me and had him drop me at the main entrance so I could go and have the required blood tests beforehand after which I walked very slowly over to the oncology rooms at Daffodil Cottage - about 300 metres away.
As I had arrived early, it was suggested that I could see the oncologist, Professor John Grygiel immediately, which I did, although I would still have to wait around for some time as even after this earlier consultation with him, he still needed to see the test results to make a decision as to whether I would be given the next infusion/injection of Zometa. Even so, we did discuss a number of things, including the fact that since stopping taking the Celebrex my arthritis had flared up drastically and I was in all sorts of pain at which point he made the decision that I should once again start taking the Celebrex. At this point, let me say that within half-an-hour of taking a Celebrex capsule this afternoon the pain has eased more than considerably.
I drifted off to sleep for an hour or so as I sat waiting for the test results before very kindly being offered a coffee and some lunch by the volunteers who look after the kitchen at the cottage and shortly after this the results did arrive.
Professor Grygiel has decided that it appears, for now at least, that I am better left off the Zometa as it seems to be doing more harm than good. Also, for the present my calcium levels have still not looked like approaching their previous normality despite my taking 1800mg of supplement per day and my blood platelet levels have dropped even further from the figure of 81 last week down to around 50 this week. He is awaiting the results of the PSA test that was also done this morning to see if that has yet stabilised or is still on the increase, indicating the cancer to be still on the move, before deciding whether or not I should continue with the quarterly subcutaneous injections of the Zoladex implants.
Not necessarily the best news but, I'm afraid that as it currently stands, there is little more that can be done for the present and it is truly just a case of wait and see and just hope for the best outcome.