Thread: Need references to lead my band towards a new style

Question Need references to lead my band towards a new style

Hi ! :)

I'm the vocals in a band for a few months now and have been singing pretty much my whole life.
    I'm not comfortable with the path we have been taking so far. Very rocky, not aggressive but with high tempo and I don't feel it.

I told my guys that I needed something more smooth, maybe slower, maybe more blues than rock, as I'm not playing any instrument it's so hard to explain what I have in mind.

I've been a lot into jazz, musicals, pop/rock which is very different from what we're doing and I need to find some references to tell them my ideas and see if we can do something about it.
    We have 2 electric guitars players, 1 bass , 1 drummer.

Do you have any band, musician, doing blues, soft rock that could fit the idea ??

My voice is a mezzo-soprano range, but strong in basses (jazz like). Adele is good example to imagine my voice.

My only reference so far is the song "Hang me up to dry" from Claire Denamur.

Thanks a lot for your help !

June

PS: Sorry for my English, I'm a french speaker. ;)

Can you post some examples of your singing? More importantly, can you give a list of 5 songs that you like to sing. Material that you are comfortable with. BTW, your English is better than some people whose first language is English!
    Last edited by Jerome; 18-03-2017 at 15:53.
    'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.

I can't imagine what your doing in a rock group with a mezzo-soprano voice. Most rock singers are just poor yodellers