Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Courtesy of the Red White Blue

Default Courtesy of the Red White Blue

The Dixie Chicks for me are the best trio in the business for quite a long time. They were railroaded with the controversy. But, that stadium career killer produced one of the best crossover albums I've ever heard. From their first to last album, this band dramatically grew. I've seen them quite a few times and up until this last show at the PNC Center, they were always magnificent.

I started listening to Toby Keith when "How Do You Like Me Now" became a hit, and many of his earlier hits became favorites. His last great song was Courtesy of the Red White and Blue". From there his career while still afloat has taken a nove dive musically. Some of his hits after "Courtesy", I don't understand how they charted. While it was admirable that he played the inauguration the short set was lackluster at best.

But, this post is about "Courtesy".

The first time I saw Keith was at Annapolis MD Naval Academy and he did not disappoint. Great show. Minimal staging, just him, his band and the songs. For an encore he came out with just his guitar and said he'd written a song that he would probably never record, that it was personal and straight from the heart. He went on to perform "Courtesy" acoustically. It was MAGNIFICENT.

I saw him a year or so later, and "Courtesy" had now become part of his set. Full band, it was still cool. But, the intimacy of his acoustic version was far superior.

The very last time I went to see Keith, "Courtesy" had grown to epic proportions with fireworks, and all sorts of tacky stage props. The overall show was awful. But, this disaster took the cake. It sucked.

If the Chicks heard the original version of "Courtesy" like I did, there would have been no feud, it was a great song. The recorded version is very good. But, he really should have kept it, him and his guitar. When he was at his peak, he shouldn't been a little more particular as to what he recorded.

Record Label Executive Lovely Linda's Avatar

No artist should mess with a classic including Toby. However, I still like him Sorry, can not say that about the Chicks.

Modern Country: You don't have to stay in key. They will put you in key.. Merle Haggard

https://youtu.be/qgiILl_F7O8

Band Manager James Otto Sweet Heart's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman999 View Post
    The Dixie Chicks for me are the best trio in the business for quite a long time. They were railroaded with the controversy. But, that stadium career killer produced one of the best crossover albums I've ever heard. From their first to last album, this band dramatically grew. I've seen them quite a few times and up until this last show at the PNC Center, they were always magnificent.
    You can have what would have been my share of the Dixie Chicks then. I can not stand them. What happened when you last saw them? You make it sound like they were terrible compared to the other times that you have seen them.

God bless you always!!!

Holly
    Listen to my most favorite singer here sometime, James Otto that is!

Quote Originally Posted by James Otto Sweet Heart View Post
    You can have what would have been my share of the Dixie Chicks then. I can not stand them. What happened when you last saw them? You make it sound like they were terrible compared to the other times that you have seen them.

God bless you always!!!

Holly
    I've seen them every time they've played the NE since their Fly tour. I also flew to Dallas to see them before their Home tour because one of them was pregnant. Then in 2010 I drove to Toronto to see their greatest hits tour, and every show was magnificent. They transitioned from Radio City (about 5000) to MSG (20,000) with no problem.
    They handled the audience like the pros they are.

But, I saw them last year at the PNC Center and Natalie just didn't want to be there. She was so lackluster, the sisters were bland. It was a beautiful show (the videos and lightshow). But, musically it was poor.

^^^ I know that you love them, but to me, their attitude is what I think made them lose whatever it is that they lost ever since their presidential controversy all them years ago. Yes, they have the right to put their two cents out there, but their trying revoke everyone else's right to put their pennies out there too in my opinion is what only dug their hole deeper. If they couldn't deal with everyone else's opinion, and they made it as clear as crystal glass that they couldn't, they should've just kept quiet until they could deal with everyone else's opinion.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. And from what you tell me about them here, it sounds like they still haven't learned everything yet about what it takes to be in the public eye. If they didn't want to be out there that night or at all, the show should have been rescheduled or just cancelled all together because if the right attitude is not going to be present, then its the people in the crowd who are going to get ripped off and they are the ones who throw down the money to go to these performances in the first place. How big was the crowd that night? Maybe that is what got them all bent out of shape. The turn out that they hoped for may not have happened. If so, that right there is another thing that they need to think about and appreciate, the fact that anyone is still interested in them that is.
    Last edited by James Otto Sweet Heart; 15-03-2017 at 01:13.

Dixies would have a field day with Trump! Funny how things change fast!
    " WHEN I WAS FIVE YEARS OLD, MY MOTHER ALWAYS TOLD ME THAT HAPPINESS WAS THE KEY TO LIFE. WHEN I WENT TO SCHOOL, THEY ASKED ME WHAT I WANTED TO BE WHEN I GREW UP. I WROTE DOWN "HAPPY". THEY TOLD ME I DIDN'T UNDERSTAND THE ASSIGNMENT AND I TOLD THEM THEY DIDN'T UNDERSTAND LIFE."

- JOHN LENNON

^^^ Can I ask what has changed exactly? I ask because everyone still has the right to put where ever it is that they choose to stand out there and not just them. That right there has most definitely not changed one bit. Therefore, if they don't want to deal with those who disagree, their mouths should remain closed until they don't mind dealing with whoever disagrees.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

It is my opinion that country music artists and fans are more conservative. Might be why the Chicks were disliked to the point they were.
    They should have known better. Would not have changed my opinion of them but they did go too far.

However, refreshing to see Holly touch on politics even though it is in this topic

Modern Country: You don't have to stay in key. They will put you in key.. Merle Haggard

^^^ Thank you. I could be wrong, but I think that their decision to trash Toby Keith and then later on Reba is what made most country music fans write them off for good. They just never knew when enough is enough.

God bless you and Toby and Reba always!!!

Holly

For some reason alot of country music fans I have talked to online do not like Toby.
    I have always liked him. My brother loved Reba.
    The Chicks were rude to Toby. I did not know about Reba.