Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grammy Winners 2017

bob_32_116

Quote Originally Posted by Oceansoul View Post
    I think her pitch went off for a moment while she was singing the song, Fastlove and she decided to restart the performance. She recovered from it quickly though.

...which more or less proves that she was singing, and not lip-synching. Good for her.
    Last edited by bob_32_116; 15-02-2017 at 13:51.

Record Label Executive Oceansoul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    ...which more or less proves that she was singing, and not lip-synching. Good for here.
    True, at least she was genuinely singing.
    "One must work and dare if one really wants to live." - Vincent Van Gogh

I’ve been delving into some of the award winning works and I have to say, I’m a bit confused as to how they categorise the entries, e.g. Gregory Porter, Best Jazz Vocal Album. I don’t hear jazz, not real jazz, although admittedly, I didn’t make it through the whole album … and William Bell’s This is Where I Live … Americana?? I’d describe him primarily as a soul singer.

Oh well, tomayto/tomaato! I suppose Americana is not an exact science and pigeonholing is not that critical … more importantly, This is Where I Live is a very, VERY nice album, in all respects … may get quite addicted to it! Marc Cohn co-wrote some of the tracks and his stamp is clear IMHO – lovely stuff.

William Bell is 77 years of age and his voice still sounds absolutely great … he obviously thinks so too since he harmonises with himself on the lead track ... it reminds me of Van Morrison to a large degree (think “Days Like This”). This album and Yo-Yo Ma & The Silk Road Ensemble’s Sing Me Home would be my picks of the winning bunch so far …

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson

bob_32_116

^^ I think the problem with the Grammys these days is just the sheer number of categories. No doubt that gives more people a chance of winning something, but it does make for controversy. What defines "Americana" for example? Is it enough that a song be on a topic specific to the USA? (which presumably is what they mean when they say "America"). And it's about time someone took an axe to this stupid category "R&B". "Rhythm and blues" originally meant something entirely different from what it appears to mean today, and in any case the 'R' seems unnecessary. Have a blues category by all means, have rap, have hip hop, have soul. Most of the rest is rock and/or pop.
    Last edited by bob_32_116; 17-02-2017 at 06:23.

then there's winners who don't deserve to win in the category they've been nominated for:

best example of this was 1988 with Jethro Tull winning "best metal/hard rock" category ahead of Metalica...
    and I loved Ian Anderson's comment regarding it...."well, we do play our mandolins quite loud"!

a couple of years later Metallica did win that award and their comment was equally as good as Anderson's "at least Jethro Tull didn't release an album this year"

bob_32_116

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY-HORSE View Post
    then there's winners who don't deserve to win in the category they've been nominated for:

best example of this was 1988 with Jethro Tull winning "best metal/hard rock" category ahead of Metalica...
    and I loved Ian Anderson's comment regarding it...."well, we do play our mandolins quite loud"!

a couple of years later Metallica did win that award and their comment was equally as good as Anderson's "at least Jethro Tull didn't release an album this year"
    ... except that that wasn't an original quip. Several Grammy winners have said "thanks to (so-and-so) for not releasing an album this year." I'm not sure who said it first, or about who. It may have been someone thanking David Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY-HORSE View Post

JT’s record label was the best though (Chrysalis) … they famously took out a full page ad with a picture of a flute lying in among steel construction material, and congrats to the band on their win under the caption “The flute is a (heavy) metal instrument”. Possibly one of the most tasteful and gracious commercial acknowledgements of a misstep ever devised.
    "The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    ... except that that wasn't an original quip. Several Grammy winners have said "thanks to (so-and-so) for not releasing an album this year." I'm not sure who said it first, or about who. It may have been someone thanking David Bowie.

whether he was the recipient or the actual comment maker im not sure, but Paul Simon comes to mind for me...

I doubt that it was David Bowie being thanked for not releasing an album, because he only ever won one solitary Grammy during his lifetime,
    it was "best video" for the 20 minute 'long form/short movie' video for "jazzin for blue jean": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXvAaNcXNzI

but heres the three and a half minute song:

bob_32_116

I think you're right CH, someone was thanking Paul Simon for not releasing an album that year.

I watched all of the performances
    the only ones I liked were Gaga and Bruno
    “A man only learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people.”
    Will Rogers