Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Musician Deaths - 2017

Default Musician Deaths - 2017

let's put our R.I.P.s and tributes in one thread this year
    no predictions from me this time
    afraid I put a jinx on Mr. Cohen last year
    A man only learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people.
    Will Rogers

fair enough with the Cohen...

but im predicting a Rolling Stone death this year, maybe even a Beatle death along with at least one of the remaining 1950s rockers

Default Peter Sarstedt dead at 75

Another one of the old school has departed. RIP.
    'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.

to be honest, I only know two of his tracks, "where do you go to my lovely" and that frozen orange juice thingy....

Where Do You Go To My Lovely had all the hallmarks of classic Dylan IMO, superb song, the other one, run of the mill pop.

I believe he was still making albums as late as 2013, gotta respect the guy for his longevity if nothing else...

well, that's #1 for the year, with many more to come I suspect.

RIP Peter Sarstedt.
    "The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson

bob_32_116

Peter Sarstedt really only had the one big hit, but it was a gem. More Dylan than Dylan.

I've heard some of his other songs - some of them are interesting and rather quirky, others not so much. I think he could have been biigger, except that his sound was somewhat similar to that of Cat Stevens, who probably cornered the market for that kind of folk-pop sound.

There is an interesting trivium regarding the Sarstedt brothers. There were three of them: Rick (who recorded under the name of Eden Kane). Peter, and Clive. They have the odd distinction of being the only family of brothers in the history of recorded music to have all achieved top 5 chart success as solo artists.
    Last edited by bob_32_116; 13-02-2017 at 14:02.

I loved his music...when I first heard Where Do you Go To My Lovely ...it floored me! Rest peacefully Brother Peter !
    " WHEN I WAS FIVE YEARS OLD, MY MOTHER ALWAYS TOLD ME THAT HAPPINESS WAS THE KEY TO LIFE. WHEN I WENT TO SCHOOL, THEY ASKED ME WHAT I WANTED TO BE WHEN I GREW UP. I WROTE DOWN "HAPPY". THEY TOLD ME I DIDN'T UNDERSTAND THE ASSIGNMENT AND I TOLD THEM THEY DIDN'T UNDERSTAND LIFE."

- JOHN LENNON

I just had to check out who Peter Sarstedt was. Never heard of him before in my life. I was around in the 60s. Where Do You Go, I checked out on youtube, didn't ring a bell. Did he ever have a US hit?

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Peter Sarstedt really only had the one big hit, but it was a gem. More Dylan than Dylan.

There is an interesting trivium regarding the Sarstedt brothers. There were three of them: Rick (who recorded under the name of Eden Kane). Peter, and Clive. They have the odd distinction of being the only family of brothers in the history of recorded music to have all achieved top 5 chart success as solo artists.
    I agree, Where Do You Go To My Lovely had all the hallmarks of Dylan.

I was aware Eden Kane was Peter's brother, had no idea about the other brother though,
    I Wiki'd him but still have no idea who he was and didn't recognise his songs neither.

Tommy Allsup (Buddy Holly's guitarist) dead aged 85:
    http://www.msn.com/en-au/entertainme...I0g?li=AAgfLCP