Spotify spin

cool cover
    Swedish band
    12th album
    first for me
    at least they didn't scream or growl at me
    still not my thing but it may be Oceansoul's

single and title track

A man only learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people.
    Will Rogers

yes I agree...awesome cover art.
    not really that keen on the track...
    have only heard a few Opeth tracks previously, wasn't real keen on them neither...

pretty sure SteveO is a big fan of these guys...

I am still making up my mind about this album. I didn't like the title track much, but then I heard one of the other tracks, Will o' the Wisp, and thought it was very good and very Jethro Tull.

For Opeth albums, I recommend both Damnation and Heritage. Neither album has any growling.
    Also highly recommended is the self-titled release by Storm Corrosion, which is a duo consisting of Mikhail Akerfeldt (Opeth) and Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree).

Opeth is a bit of a hit or miss band for me, although my favorite album from them is Ghost Reveries and I have a favorable opinion of a few songs. I notice the 70s prog influence, for sure. This is the second time I've heard the title track, it's not bad...just different. I'll check the rest of this album out and see what I think of it.

Also that's a cool peacock cover.
    "Treat your life for what it's worth and live for every breath." -Black Sabbath, "A National Acrobat"

I've heard some earlier Opeth with the growling and it's definitely not for me. Fortunately they seem to have given that up.

They are playing soon at the Sydney opera house, so it will be interesting to read the reports of the concert.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I've heard some earlier Opeth with the growling and it's definitely not for me. Fortunately they seem to have given that up.

They are playing soon at the Sydney opera house, so it will be interesting to read the reports of the concert.
    I understand. I think Akerfeldt did a decent job at growls compared to some I've heard, but yeah, growls are an acquired taste. Opeth's old stuff, including with growls is a mixed bag for me. For instance, I like Ghost Reveries which has a mix of harsh vocals and clean vocals, Blackwater Park is alright, but not my favorite, I like Watershed fairly well, and Damnation is not my cup of tea.

If I knew Opeth was playing near me, I would try to go see them. It seems like I'm always missing bands I want to see live haha. And yeah, Akerfeldt doesn't do growls anymore so I don't think you'll need to worry about that. I'm not sure if he can even do them anymore.
    Last edited by Oceansoul; 17-10-2016 at 19:41.
    "Treat your life for what it's worth and live for every breath." -Black Sabbath, "A National Acrobat"

Roadie

I love this album. Though I must admit I miss the growling vocals a bit. Akerfeldt has amazing growls.

I'm still going to need to listen to this album a few more times, but I think it's good though I don't think it's amazing.
    But I don't think it's as bad as some have slammed it as though.

There are elements that stand out to me about the album which might not appeal to some Opeth fans, especially old ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Oceansoul View Post
    If I knew Opeth was playing near me, I would try to go see them. It seems like I'm always missing bands I want to see live haha.
    Sydney is not "near me", if that's what you were implying.

I don't love Opeth enough to fly across the country to see them. I am heading to Sydney at the end of the month though to see Steven Wilson.
    Someone needs to inform Steven that Australia has a left side as well as a right side. He has played in this country three times, and it's always the same cities: Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane.

what would you say bob_32....

Sydney to Perth would equate LA to NY as a rough guess???