Thread: Epica "the holographic principle"

Default Epica "the holographic principle"

Epica "the holographic principle"

Spotify listen:

Dutch symphonic metal band...
    double cd, 90 plus minutes...
    albums starts off pretty darn good but 90 minutes
    is too long IMO because the sound never changes so for that reason
    it is unfortunately disposable to my ears...

from the album:

That song is alright, but I'm not the biggest fan of the male vocalist's growls. Hmm, I'll still check it out. Shame you didn't care for the album though.
    "Treat your life for what it's worth and live for every breath." -Black Sabbath, "A National Acrobat"

Don't get me wrong the intro and the first few track were very good, there was just no variation for 90 minutes, I just couldn't listen to it again for that reason.
    The last Dream Theater album was equally as long but there was variation throughout so I bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY-HORSE View Post
    Don't get me wrong the intro and the first few track were very good, there was just no variation for 90 minutes, I just couldn't listen to it again for that reason.
    The last Dream Theater album was equally as long but there was variation throughout so I bought it.
    Oh okay, well I haven't listened to it yet.

You've listened to The Astonishing then? Did you like it? I've heard a few songs off of it, but it's so long and a lot to absorb in one sitting for me. It's different from their usual stuff.
    Last edited by Oceansoul; 09-10-2016 at 20:28.
    "Treat your life for what it's worth and live for every breath." -Black Sabbath, "A National Acrobat"

Sure did, that was my first experience with them, I loved it and bought it the next day...
    I ended up getting another seven of their albums over the next month...

My favourite is "metropolis pt:2, scenes from a memory"...

This is one of the reasons I listen to new releases even when I might not like them..
    I would never have gone out of my way to hear DT deliberately because I had a preconceived notion they were simply metal,
    Instead I listened and was pleasantly surprised at their musicianship and lyrical quality.

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY-HORSE View Post
    Sure did, that was my first experience with them, I loved it and bought it the next day...
    I ended up getting another seven of their albums over the next month...

My favourite is "metropolis pt:2, scenes from a memory"...

This is one of the reasons I listen to new releases even when I might not like them..
    I would never have gone out of my way to hear DT deliberately because I had a preconceived notion they were simply metal,
    Instead I listened and was pleasantly surprised at their musicianship and lyrical quality.
    Ah, cool. I also like Scenes From A Memory by DT fairly well. They are a metal band, but The Astonishing is a change from what they've been doing for a few years now. Some people don't care for their technical displays much. I listen to a couple of their albums.

I enjoy symphonic rock/metal from time to time! Besides Epica, Within Temptation comes to mind!
    " WHEN I WAS FIVE YEARS OLD, MY MOTHER ALWAYS TOLD ME THAT HAPPINESS WAS THE KEY TO LIFE. WHEN I WENT TO SCHOOL, THEY ASKED ME WHAT I WANTED TO BE WHEN I GREW UP. I WROTE DOWN "HAPPY". THEY TOLD ME I DIDN'T UNDERSTAND THE ASSIGNMENT AND I TOLD THEM THEY DIDN'T UNDERSTAND LIFE."

- JOHN LENNON