Thread: How do you write songs? How do you start and don't give up too soon?

Default How do you write songs? How do you start and don't give up too soon?

Hey guys I wanted to ask you if you have ever written own songs? How do you start writing them? I know there are as many opinions as musicians but start like that:

1. Search for inspiration: topics for lyrics or music styles, melodies I heard and liked
    2. I write the lyrics or at least some lines I can later use for the melody.
    3. Then I play some chords and try to find a progression I like
    4. Then I try to play in in different rhythms to find a cool way of playing it. And add a melody.
    5. For the chorus I mostly take this chord progression I wrote.
    6. As verse I try to find some other chords progression or I just change the dynamics of chorus to make it sound like a verse.
    7. I think of how to structure the song chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, chorus is the most frequent I guess.
    8. Then I practice the song a bit.
    9. And I record it to evaluate it later on.
    10. I try to do such exercises as often as possible to get better. (here is the full version of my how to write a song routine, with some detail info, in case you want to read).

My problem is, I mostly don't get to the recording point because I give up on the idea :D How do you deal with it? Songwriting can be pretty frustrating haha.

Don't give up,keep at it I went twenty years between songs and then one night a melody hit me,no I haven't written any million sellers but I've written.