from music news

They said it could never be done. But where the Beatles failed, Madness succeeded and today went down in history for being the first ever band to play Regents Street.

Madness were playing the gig for Absolute Radioís first birthday and Hometime DJ Geoff Lloyd was on hand to talk to the band about how they out done the Beatles, the fights and how the youth of today need a good slap around the face.

Frontman of the legendary pop/ska band Madness Suggs said, ' Playing Regent St is all about outdoing the Beatles. The Beatles played their most famous gig on Saville Row but weíve got the whole of Regent St to play on. Have that!

Referring to John Lennon the cheeky frontman added, 'I am tempted to wear my fur coat and bring out my Japanese wife.'

During the gig in true Rock 'Roll style, band member Lee Thompson, crawled up to the top of the stage and was dangling head first above Suggsí head as the crowd went wild. Not to be outdone, frontman Suggs announced at the end of the concert (live on air), 'This is our last song. If you want to hear some more, scream, if not **** off!'

The band are well know for their bust ups and Suggs added fuel to the fire by divulging the bands pre show ritual, ' Before every gig we shake hands. Itís very English to shake hands. You can hide a lot of hatred and bile behind it.'

Also playing at the gig were Suggs daughters Scarlett, 26 and Viva 24, who have a band aptly named 'Scarlet and Viva.' Talking about them the frontman said, 'This is the biggest gig they've ever done. '

He added, 'I try to keep them out of the showbiz world. They arenít part of the famous kids set. They all have degrees and proper jobs. Iíve made them do the music in their spare time.'

Woody also confessed to Absolute Radio, Hometime DJ Geoff Lloyd that his mum recently attended a Madness gig and witnessed Suggs saying four rude words on stage. 'She said he needed a good slap around the face,' Woody laughed.

Suggs replied, 'The world would be a better place if mothers gave the youth of today the odd slap around the face.'