Thread: Pink Martini

Record Label Executive

Default Pink Martini

Not "Alternative" in the usual sense; it's just they at one time or another play every genre invented, it seems including what's classed as "World Music--African, Arabic, you name it. Not mashups or mixtapes or any such--they treat each genre, each song with deep respect. Critics love them (7 of 8 albums are 4 stars or better) and fans have True Believer status. Other musicians especially singers just love to be with them. To get a better feel as to what they are about, here's a review of a typical album: Putting them in the same class as Squirrel Nut Zippers q.v. is telling--both arose from the lounge-act revival of the '90's but both are so much more. Not just a covers band either--a lot of their material is new and by them. On Heinz Records because they're 57 varieties. Picking songs to present is easy--drop the needle anywhere.
    3 from the 1st one: << How's this for being out of the starting gate at a hot trot? and and
    From later: << Ravel never had it so good << with the original Von Trapp's grandchildren. Sublime. << This works so well << China Forbes can sing well in 6 languages << Look up "tour de force" and there will be a link to this perf << w/ Jimmy Scott--I need to cover this guy soon << w/Rufus Wainright covering a song by his aunt << by Heitor Villa-Lobos << lovely clarinet
    Who is Norman Leyden, you ask (as did I)?

BONUS: A concert in their hometown--tears of joy prevail; rapture reigns:
    A man accustomed to hear only the echo of his own sentiments, soon bars all the common avenues of delight, and has no part in the general gratification of mankind--Dr. Johnson
    What he said. Amen, Bro--JazzboCR

Lead Vocalist
    Santa Paula, CA

I've got most of their releases, but not liking the newer stuff as much as I like their early stuff.