4.0 of 5.0 from allmusic

1st studio album
I guess that's why they called it VII
your current r&b fix
associated with Chris Brown and Kanye
that should have been enough for me
but I listened anyway

Bio - from allmusic

Harlem-based singer, rapper, songwriter, dancer, actor, and model Teyana Taylor gained recognition in the States on an early-2007 episode of
MTV's My Super Sweet 16. By the time it aired, she had already signed to Star Trak/Interscope, helped popularize the Chicken Noodle Soup dance,
and aided in the choreography for Beyoncé's "Ring the Alarm" video. Taylor's brash first single, the Jazze Pha-produced "Google Me," reached
number 90 on Billboard's Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart in 2008. The following year, she released a mixtape, From a Planet Called Harlem, and she
co-wrote "So Cold" for Chris Brown. In 2010, she contributed some vocals to Kanye West's My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, but her solo career
stalled. A couple years later, she was released from her Interscope contract and subsequently uploaded new material as free downloads. She
signed to West's Def Jam-affiliated GOOD label, appeared on the Cruel Summer compilation, and released a clutch of steamy R&B singles prior to
her proper debut album, VII, in 2014. As an actor, she has appeared in several movies, including Stomp the Yard 2: Homecoming, Madea's Big Happy
Family, and The Love Section.

Album Review - from allmusic

Back in 2008, Harlem-bred Teyana Taylor was a teenager signed to Star Trak. While with the Neptunes' label, she released only one single, the
Jazze Pha-produced "Google Me." It was an attitudinal trifle that barely scraped Billboard's R&B/Hip-Hop chart. Apart from some background
moves, like the co-writing of Chris Brown's "So Cold," Taylor's career stalled. During a meeting to appraise some couture obtained by Kanye
West, she got to hear the rapper/producer's in-the-making My Dark Beautiful Twisted Fantasy and added her own runs and embellishments as she
listened. When Taylor left the premises, she had recorded vocals for some of the album's tracks. West eventually signed Taylor to his Def Jam-
supported GOOD label, then had her appear on three Cruel Summer tracks, including compilation highlight "Bliss," where she duetted with John
Legend. In June 2014, Taylor released "Maybe," her second proper solo single and likely what she'd prefer to call her real debut single. The
slinking, atmospheric slow jam is filled with as much attitude as her 2008 single but replaces youthful swagger with something more grown. Her
newly refined approach is seductive and don't-you-dare-cross-me at once. More importantly, the song made it evident that she was no joke as a
singer. "Business" and "Do Not Disturb," additional previews of VII, followed as singles. The former is particularly great, with its creeping
bassline, lurching drums, and gauzy effects -- co-produced by Brian Kennedy and Mr. Franks, presumably not Zen songsmith Michael Franks -- an
ideal frame for Taylor's response to involvement in a mutually on-the-rebound tryst. The part-reggae "Put Your Love On" comes off like an
Estelle castoff, but VII otherwise sticks with high-quality slow jams where Taylor's casually commanding, faintly coarse approach is in full
effect. There's evidence that she has studied the classics, like the point in "Broken Hearted Girl" where she quotes Teena Marie, and the
quietly dazzling, Janet Jackson-like way in which she conveys longing throughout "Request." At the same time, she leaves a mark of her own with
this, one of 2014's superb debuts.

released in June as the first single:

Track Listing

1. Outta My League (Interlude)
2. Just Different
3. Request
4. Do Not Disturb
5. Broken Hearted Girl
6. It Could Just Be Love (Interlude)
7. Put Your Love On
8. Maybe
9. Dreams