Thread: Midyear Music Sales Figures

Lancaster, Kentucky, United States

Default Midyear Music Sales Figures

from Rolling Stone

The returning Justin Timberlake and upstart rappers Macklemore and Ryan Lewis top the list of best-
    selling recording artists at the midyear point of 2013, according to Nielsen SoundScan. As of June
    30th, Timberlake's The 20/20 Experience has sold just over two million copies the only album to do
    so thus far this year.

The rest of the top five best-selling albums include Bruno Mars' Unorthodox Jukebox (985,000 copies
    sold this year after a December release), Mumford & Sons' nine-month-old Babel (884,000 sold in
    addition to 1.46 million sold by the end of last year), Blake Shelton's Based on a True Story . . .
    (703,000) and Imagine Dragons' Night Visions (692,000).

Macklemore and Ryan Lewis' "Thrift Shop" has broken a record for the most digital sales in the first
    six months of a calendar year, barely besting Gotye's 5.5 million downloads of "Somebody That I Used
    to Know" by this time last year. Pink, Mars, Rihanna and Imagine Dragons round out the top five in
    digital singles.

Overall, sales of digital tracks are down two percent, to 682 million this year, while album sales
    are down six percent, to 142 million.
    A man only learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people.
    Will Rogers

thanks for the info will be interesting how they all pan out at the end of the year

Would be really interesting if Macklemore will reach the 6.5 millions of Call Me Maybe, Boom Boom Pow and so on - or even the 8.2 million of I Gotta Feeling? concerning digital sales I mean. Found those figures here: