Default Young Man - Beyond Was All Around Me

online listen
    nothing makes a like
    1.3 from me and a converted 2.4 from allmusic

artist web site -

from the album - In A Sense

released Apr 9th, 2013

Bio - from allmusic

Young Man crafts a dreamy atmosphere of layered vocals, airy guitar, and looped drums around founder Colin Caulfield's contemplative lyrics. Caulfield began the project in 2009 while studying English and French at Loyola, posting original compositions alongside his covers of artists like Animal Collective, Bon Iver, and Beach House to his YouTube channel. His version of Deerhunter's "Rainwater Cassette Exchange" made such an impression that their singer Bradford Cox called the rendition "fantastically superior to the original." By summer 2010, Young Man opened for Langhorne Slim and Lou Barlow and signed to the Frenchkiss label, which released debut EP Boy shortly thereafter. In 2011, Young Man toured with Cold War Kids, Fanfarlo, and Grouplove, and conceptualized releasing a trilogy of albums. That September, he offered the first installment in the form of his full-length debut, the more fleshed-out Ideas of Distance, following the next May with the trickily titled Vol. 1, produced by the Sea and Cake multi-instrumentalist John McEntire and employing a full band for the first time. The third and final installment of the trilogy came with 2013's Beyond Was All Around Me, which branched out with more mature production and detailed string arrangements. Following touring for the album Caulfield planned to retire the Young Man moniker but continue to make music under different banners.

Album Review - from allmusic

When student and dorm room songwriter Colin Caulfield began Young Man in 2009, he set up finite parameters for the project: the dreamy, densely arranged music he was crafting alone under the moniker and later with a band would span a trilogy of records and then the band would be put to rest. Beyond Was All Around Me is the final of three chapters; like its predecessors, it focuses on themes centralized around the tumultuous passage from youth into adulthood. Elements of this transition have been mirrored in the consecutive albums, as well, with the bedroom vibes of 2011's Ideas of Distance giving way to the more mature John McEntire production of Vol. 1, and now the crystalline take on Caulfield's layered sounds on this album, seen through the lens of producer Nicholas Verhnes. BWAAM holds on to some of the original inspirations for the project while branching into more adventurous territory in its twilight hours. Young Man grew out of Caulfield uploading covers of Deerhunter and Panda Bear songs onto his YouTube account, and the influence of those nostalgic, reverb-laden figures is still strong on tracks like "Scrape on the Knee" or "School." The haunted guitars and Motorik drums of "In a Sense" evoke the same empty, nocturnal suburban landscapes of Deerhunter's Cryptograms, with elements of darker ambient textures creeping in around all edges. Elsewhere, we hear nods to the spacy, resonant jamming of early Pink Floyd. Most curiously, however, are the brief interspersions of almost faux-Broadway campiness in "Being Alone" and "My Days." With brilliantly recorded string arrangements, parts of these epic songs land between the most Baroque Beatles or Nilsson tunes and reflective musical theater before segueing back into the rest of the album's more distant and exploratory tone. As BWAAM fades to a close, Young Man has succeeded in their goal to express the sound of what growing up feels like. The mess, mania, and static of youth get refined into a more confident confusion on these songs, and by the last strains of "My Days" (and the subsequent end of Young Man), we're left with the feeling of chapters closing and life moving on, whether its subjects are ready for what comes next or not.

Track Listing

1. It's Alright
    2. Josie
    3. In Time
    4. In A Sense
    5. Scrape On The Knee
    6. Being Alone
    7. Show Me How
    8. Unfair
    9. Waterford
    10. School
    11. My Days
    A man only learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people.
    Will Rogers

Heard about 45seconds.... crap.crap.crap