they blend well
liked a couple here, including the clip
then a couple I couldn't handle
just misses the list
1.5 from me and a converted 2.4 from the pros at allmusic

from the album - Just To Make Me Feel Good

released Jan 29th, 2013

Bio - from allmusic

Singer/songwriter Adam Green is most known for his stint with the Moldy Peaches, but in the new
millennium he also did the solo thing. His music is a sophisticated indie folk mix, showcasing
an appealing peculiarity similar to the likes of Leonard Cohen. In September 2002, Green marked
his solo debut with the release of Garfield, followed by the next year's Friends of Mine, which
contained the single "Jessica," about Jessica Simpson. In 2005 and 2006, Green released a pair
of dynamic albums, Gemstones and Jacket Full of Danger, respectively. The following year, the
singer found himself with a bit more mainstream attention thanks to his duet with fellow-Moldy
Peach Kimya Dawson, "Anyone Else But You," featured in the hit film Juno, and in 2008, his
fifth solo full-length, Sixes & Sevens, came out. After the release of his 2010 album Minor
Love, which was his most accessible work yet, Green took time off from music to devote his full
attention to his art career and filmmaking ventures. When he came back to music in 2012, he
paired with singer/songwriter Binki Shapiro to write and record an album's worth of duets in
the vein of Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazlewood. The finished album, Adam Green & Binki Shapiro,
was released in early 2013 by Rounder Records.

Los Angeles-based singer/songwriter Binki Shapiro first gained notice in 2006 when she appeared
in a series of videos made by Beck to promote his album The Information. The next year she met
Strokes drummer Fabrizio Moretti and Los Hermanos singer/guitarist Rodrigo Amarante, who had
become friends when meeting the previous year in Lisbon, and were hanging out during breaks in
sessions Amarante was playing on for Devendra Banhart's Smokey Rolls Down Thunder Canyon.
Shapiro suggested that the two friends work together on some new songs and they asked her to
join the band they decided to form. Featuring her angelic vocals, the band was called Little
Joy and they released a self-titled album on Rough Trade Records in late 2008. The album gained
some favorable press but it turned out to be the group's only recording. Shapiro appeared on
Megapuss' album Surfing and Sia's Some People Have Real Problems in 2008, then Beck's Record
Club covers album, Songs of Leonard Cohen, in 2009. Soon thereafter she met New York City-based
singer/songwriter Adam Green and the two began collaborating on songs together, often flying to
meet in one city or the other in order to work on lyrics. The breakups each writer was going
through informed the finished songs, the first of which were released in 2012 on the Fall EP
(released by venerable label Rounder). The duo's folky Nancy & Lee-styled duets and incisive
lyrics were on full display on their debut full-length, Adam Green & Binki Shapiro, which was
released by Rounder in early 2013.

Album Review - from allmusic

Since his start with Moldy Peaches, Adam Green has taken the long road to respectability,
slowly moving from out of tune anti-folkie to recording this thoroughly adult-oriented album
for the august folk label Rounder. Here he teams with Binki Shapiro (former vocalist for Little
Joy) on an album of duets that hit the sweet spot between the off-kilter weirdness of Nancy
Sinatra's work with Lee Hazlewood and the sexy swagger of Serge Gainsbourg's duets with his
pick of ladies. Green and Shapiro's voices blend like a nostalgic dream -- hers smooth as silky
stockings, his as rumbling and dry as a desert wind --- as they sing songs of broken hearts,
messed up dreams, and sticky situations. The songs are bereft of any of the humor Green usually
brings to his work; instead he and Shapiro sound deadly serious and thoroughly disillusioned
with love. Despite the gloomy nature of the words, the melodies are always super catchy and the
duo, along with producer Noah Georgeson, wrap the songs in warm arrangements that are built
around a very '60s-influenced folk-rock sound, but expand into some gently orchestral territory
at times. The songs would have worked fine as acoustic duets, but the care and feeding they
give them really helps the record stick. So do the great vocal performances from Shapiro
(especially on the doo wop-inspired ballad "Casanova"), the bouncy pop songs that sound like
they could have been radio hits in 1968 ("Just to Make Me Feel Good," "I Never Found Out"), and
the overall sense of satisfaction that comes from hearing the result of two writers at the
height of their craft telling it like it is about love and life. Hopefully, Green and Shapiro
realize the creative gold they’ve struck here and make this more than just a one-off project.
Even if they quit after this, the album will stand as one of the best duet records of the era.

Track Listing

1. Here I Am
2. Just to Make Me Feel Good
3. Casanova
4. Pity Love
5. If You Want Me To
6. Pleasantries
7. I Never Found Out
8. What's the Reward
9. Don't Ask For More
10. Nighttime Stopped Bleeding