just reaching these shores
Adele with a touch of Macy Gray
liked half of this on a first listen
and the rest are borderline
1.8 from me and a converted 1.8 from the pros at allmusic

from the album - 30 Minute Love Affair

released Dec 4th, 2012

Bio - from allmusic

A familiar presence on the London underground circuit for several years, the multi-talented Paloma Faith
eventually broke into the mainstream thanks to her theatrical image and retro-soul sound. Born in Hackney
to a Spanish father and English mother, she earned a degree in contemporary dance at university before
studying for an M.A. in time-based arts at St. Martins College. At the age of 18, she made her debut on
the cabaret scene, singing in a covers band called Paloma & the Penetrators, before performing as a
magician's assistant and appearing in a burlesque troupe. After turning down an opportunity to join Amy
Winehouse's band, she began writing and performing her own songs, and soon earned a reputation as one of
London's most unique and flamboyant live acts. Her debut single, "Stone Cold Sober," reached number 17 in
the U.K. charts, and her debut album, Do You Want the Truth or Something Beautiful?, was issued by Epic
Records at the end of 2009. Meanwhile, Faith appeared on Basement Jaxx's album Scars and Josh Weller's
debut while also gaining work as an actress, playing Andrea the Emo in St. Trinian's and appearing as
Sally in Terry Gilliam's The Imagination of Dr. Parnassus. Faith's second studio album, 2012's lush and
cinematic Fall To Grace, was produced by Nellee Hooper (Gwen Stefani, Massive Attack, Björk).

Album Review - from allmusic

The ten songs on Do You Want the Truth or Something Beautiful?, Paloma Faith's U.K. Top Ten debut, were
touched by over a dozen producers. For Fall to Grace, the follow-up, the singer worked almost exclusively
with the duo of Jake Gosling (Ed Sheeran) and Nellee Hooper (Massive Attack). Naturally, as a result, it's
more of a piece than merely a collection of songs. That's not to say that Gosling and Hooper don't provide
Faith with a wide variety of backdrops. There's synth pop that pulses, electro-disco that just about
bursts, ballads that occasionally preen and frequently roar, and grand Phil Spector-meets-Baz Luhrmann pop
that teems with florid desperation. The significant uptick in theatrical flair pushes Faith to put forth
maximum-effort vocal showcases that place the sound of the voice far above the meaning of the song. This
steamrolls the potential for subtlety and even humor; in "Blood, Sweat & Tears," "You tell me I'm a
handful, but believe me, I know" is sung with the same level of chest-beating desperation as "We can
conquer the world, leave our footprints on earth." For every bullseye, like the white-hot cover of the
Northern soul favorite "Let Me Down Easy," there's a wild misfire, like the societal ballad "Black and
Blue" -- the wrong material for a singer with a larger than life image and affected approach to singing.
Commercially, she's faring well. Artistically, she's still coming into her own.

Track Listing

1. Picking Up The Pieces
2. 30 Minute Love Affair
3. Black & Blue
4. Just Be
5. Let Me Down Easy
6. Blood Sweat & Tears
7. Beauty of the End
8. When You're Gone
9. Agony
10. Let Your Love Walk In
11. Freedom