Thread: Cher Lloyd - Sticks & Stones

Lancaster, Kentucky, United States

Default Cher Lloyd - Sticks & Stones

online listen
    uh-oh, another talent show discovery
    haterz, grab your keyboard
    came out last year in the UK, but just making it here
    love the clip here, but like most pop albums, the electronic elements take over
    just misses my list but this could be another Carly Rae
    guilty pleasure on the clip though, I think it's the grunt
    1.6 from me and a converted 2.0 from the pros at allmusic

from the album - Want U Back

released Oct 2nd, 2012

Bio - from allmusic

Cher Lloyd came to notice as a contestant on series seven of Simon Cowell's U.K. talent program The X Factor. The
    singer and rapper auditioned for the program twice, singing ballads prior to being accepted through a performance of
    "Turn My Swag On" -- with Keri Hilson's version the template instead of Soulja Boy's original. After a significant
    amount of support from the program's judges, Lloyd made it to the final but finished fourth. Throughout the series,
    Lloyd took on a diverse assortment of songs, including Coldplay's "Viva la Vida," the S.O.S. Band's "Just Be Good to
    Me," Jay-Z's "Hard Knock Life (Ghetto Anthem)," Avril Lavigne's "Girlfriend," and a mix of the Black Eyed Peas'
    "Where Is the Love?" and "I Gotta Feeling" (performed with the group's After the final, Lloyd signed
    with Cowell's Sony BMG-affiliated Syco label and debuted in June 2011 with the boisterous single "Swagger Jagger."
    Her full-length debut album, Sticks + Stones, followed that same year.

Album Review - from allmusic

Forget Jedward, Chico, Wagner, or the several other novelty acts that The X Factor has foisted upon unsuspecting
    viewers across the years, fourth-place finalist Cher Lloyd appeared to polarize audiences like no one else in the
    show's short history. Where some saw a confident demeanor, others saw a brattish attitude; where some viewed her as
    a voice of the streets, others believed she encapsulated everything that was wrong about today's youth; and where
    some marveled at her rap/singing versatility, others argued she was a jack of all trades but a master of none. It
    was always unlikely, therefore, that her debut album, Sticks + Stones, was going to be a shy and retiring MOR affair
    designed to appeal to the masses la series winner Matt Cardle. However, there are times throughout its ten tracks
    when Lloyd does appear to be testing the patience of even her most ardent fans, none more so than on "Swagger
    Jagger," which may have hit the number one spot (albeit in a slow sales week) but is still a contrived mess,
    chaotically shifting from sub-Nicki Minaj hip-hop to nursery rhyme pop (its chorus samples "Oh My Darling
    Clementine") to Swedish House Mafia-esque trance, while its social media-baiting lyrics suggest her "haterz" are
    just jealous, completely discounting the fact that perhaps she just might not be everyone's cup of tea. Elsewhere,
    "Playa Boi" is an obnoxious slice of industrial R&B that should hang its head in shame for destroying the legacy of
    Neneh Cherry's "Buffalo Stance" ("He got a lean in the gangsta stance/He needs to rock the sickest brands"), while
    "Dub on the Track," a collaboration with grime artists Mic Righteous, Dot Rotten, and Ghetts, is a rather
    unconvincing attempt to prove her street credentials, complete with the now ubiquitous gigantic dirty wobble bass
    drops. However, when Lloyd stops trying so hard, she's actually a pretty compelling pop star. "Want You Back" and
    "End Up Here" are both infectious examples of cutesy pure pop that recall Britney before she lost her innocence;
    "Beautiful People," a duet with U.S. teen drama staples Carolina Liar, is a sweet Ryan Tedder-style ballad; and the
    closest the album gets to showcasing the impressive vocals she displayed on her famous "Stay" X Factor performance;
    while "With Ur Love" is a charming M.I.A.-inspired ditty that fuses a lolloping childlike bassline with bouncy beats
    and some surprisingly sugary-sweet melodies, although Mike Posner's guest rap is the pure definition of "phoned-in."
    At times, Sticks + Stones sounds like such a calculated effort to copy everything that's hot in 2011 that it's
    likely to feel utterly irrelevant by the time the clock strikes 12 on New Year's Eve. But it's by no means the car
    crash its lead single suggested, and if Lloyd can tone down the whole "in yer face" schtick, she might begin to win
    over some of those "haterz" who apparently can't stop "clicking, writing, or tweeting" about her.

Track Listing

1. Want U Back
    2. Grow Up Feat. Busta Rhymes
    3. With Ur Love
    4. Behind the Music
    5. Oath Feat. Becky G
    6. Swagger Jagger
    7. Beautiful People Feat. Carolina Liar
    8. Playa Boi
    9. Superhero
    10. End Up Here

come on more post mate....!!!!

From Cape Town, South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY-HORSE View Post
    come on more post mate....!!!!
    You just keep me hanging on.......
    'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.