Thread: JASON COLLETT "reckon"

Default JASON COLLETT "reckon"

JASON COLLETT "reckon"

never heard of Jason before,maybe SteveO has, afterall both are
    Canadian?, Jason comes from Ontario,not sure where SteveO is???
    i had to listen to this one twice, first time i thought 'this is brilliant',
    so had to listen again as ive said new albums are brilliant before,
    most noteably "le noise"(NY), and made myself look like an idiot
    a few weeks later...
    so i listened to this again, and got the same result, a brilliant album!
    bits of folky/country sounds at times, then some pop, a bit of alternative,
    really just a nice eclectic mix of sounds, this is on my 'to buy' list now, in fact im going
    to see Tem tomorrow to see if he has it in stock along with that other new
    release from a couple of weeks ago by Winter People.
    crap!,would you believe it?...the only link available is for the worst track on the album,
    but its still pretty good anyway.

from the album:

i wanna rob a bank video

ALLMUSIC REVIEW: by Mark DemingMore than a few American songwriters have been weighing in on the troubled state of the nation in the election year of 2012, and Jason Collett (best known for his work with Broken Social Scene) confirms similar anxieties are brewing north of the border in Canada as he takes a long, hard look at North American malaise on his album Reckon. As the Occupy movement poses questions about global economic equality, Collett takes a jaunty but pointed look at the lives of the haves versus the have-nots in "I Wanna Rob a Bank," while the exploitation of Third World peoples for their minerals and jewels is an undercurrent in "Black Diamond Girl," the economic and environmental impact of oil exploration informs "Miss Canada," "Talk Radio" is a brief but affecting look at one man watching the world and the culture he knows crumbling around him, and the troubling state of the world as summarized in "When the War Came Home" and "Don't Let the Truth Get to You." Politics isn't all Collett has on his mind on Reckon, but there are plenty of other signs here of a world where ethics are in short supply -- the unfaithful husband of "Ask No Questions," the oblique musings on patriotism in "Jasper Johns' Flag," the lover's lament of "You're Not the One and Only Lonely One," and a lifetime of disappointment hovering in the air in "When Things Go Wrong." Collett doesn't rant on Reckon, and the subdued tone of this music hardly makes it sound like a call to arms, but he's more than capable of making himself heard without shouting, and the artful dynamics of the music reinforce the intelligent disdain of the music. If Collett sometimes sounds like he's viewing these events from a distance, he sees some details the folks in the thick of the action might have missed, and Reckon is a statement that hits hard (and close to home) if you'll give it a careful listen.

Toronto native Jason Collett has earned accolades for his solo albums and tenure with several different bands -- most notably Broken Social Scene -- but it was his association with fellow songwriter Andrew Cash that first garnered him critical acclaim. After performing in the Andrew Cash Band during the late '80s and early '90s, Collett joined up with Ursula, an alternative rock spinoff of Cash's previous group. The band toured Canada and opened up for acts such as the Odds, but after several years in the music business, Collett decided to give the profession up for several years.

By the mid-'90s, however, the music bug was still in his system, and Collett teamed up with Cash and Hawksley Workman to form the alternative country outfit Bird. The group's sole album, Chrome Reflection, borrowed heavily from pop, rock, and country traditions, all of which would later resurface in Collett's solo work. Before launching his own songwriting career, though, Collett first began hosting a series of singer/songwriter performances that featured members of Blue Rodeo, 54-40, and Skydiggers, among others. A popular meeting place for local musicians, the events helped cement the growing popularity of Toronto.
    In 2001, Jason Collett released his debut album, Bitter Beauty, and continued hosting the Flood Family songwriters' forum. He also joined the Canadian supergroup Broken Social Scene, which found him playing alongside a number of his Toronto peers. Collett took a break from the band in 2005 to focus on his solo career; he issued his sophomore effort, Idols of Exile, soon after. Buoyed by the album's critical acclaim, Collett (now a father of three) found time to work on a third release, whittling down the catalog of 40-plus tunes he had amassed over the previous years. Here's to Being Here was recorded in two quick sessions during the winter of 2007, and the Toronto-based Arts & Crafts label issued the disc in early 2008. He remained with Arts & Crafts for the following album, Rat A Tat Tat, which appeared in March 2010. Pony Tricks, an all-acoustic, 11-track set of reworked songs, arrived later that year.

Lancaster, Kentucky, United States

2.3 for a new album
    haven't heard Collett but I have heard Broken Social Scene
    Isn't the Bright Eyes guy in that band too

was really surprised by the score it got 5-3s and 10-2s from me, i think it will stand up well over time also.

not sure abour the Bright Eyes guy, i'll have to research that one mate.

the album is on allmusic, go listen to it, you wont be dissapointed, i also forgot to mention that it contains a bonus disc of material from his back catalogue so its gotta be well worth buying 2cds for the price of one disc alone