nice way to start the month
now a 4 way tie for best of the year
excellent lyrics here
and the music, a nice slice of everything I like
1.9 from me and a converted 2.4 from the pros at allmusic

from the album - Nancy From Now On

released May 1st, 2012

Bio - from allmusic

Singer/songwriter J. Tillman's music paints languid, sadly beautiful portraits of love and life on the margins with
the moody depth of Nick Drake and the country-influenced textures of Ryan Adams. Tillman first made a name for
himself playing drums in a pair of indie rock bands, Saxon Shore and Stately, while attending college in New York
City. In his spare time, however, he began writing material of his own, citing the music of Nick Drake and Pete
Seeger, and the writings of Flannery O'Connor, as key influences. Some of Tillman's demos found their way to Damien
Jurado, who invited Tillman to join his band for a tour. Tillman played solo sets during several dates on the tour
and began distributing CD-R copies of an early collection of tunes called I Will Return. During the tour, he also
struck up a friendship with Eric Fisher, who produced another CD-R album, Long May You Run, J. Tillman. Both
Tillman and Jurado later signed on for a U.S. tour with Richard Buckner, where Tillman once again found a ready
audience for home-burned copies of his disc.

In 2006, the independent Fargo Records label released Tillman's first properly distributed solo album, Minor Works,
and Keep Records reissued I Will Return/Long May You Run as a two-disc set the same year. In 2007, Yer Bird Records
released Tillman's fourth, more elaborately arranged album, Cancer and Delirium. Although his solo work continued
to garner critical acclaim, he briefly shifted focus in 2008 by joining Fleet Foxes. The group toured heavily in
support of its debut album; meanwhile, Tillman continued working on his own material, releasing Year in the Kingdom
in 2009. In 2011, Tillman left Fleet Foxes to concentrate on his many solo projects, adopting the pseudonym Father
John Misty for 2012's Fear Fun, a 12-track collection of new material that infused the harmony-laden hymns of his
former band with a patina of Gram Parsons and Harry Nilsson-informed, Laurel Canyon-inspired neo-psychedelia.

Album Review - from allmusic

As J. Tillman, indie folk crooner Joshua Tillman painted sparse, often melancholic fever dreams that paired the
wounded isolation of Nick Drake with the star-crossed country romanticism of Gram Parsons, a sensibility he also
brought to the table as the drummer and backing vocalist for Seattle's Fleet Foxes. His latest incarnation, Father
John Misty, adds Harry Nilsson and Skip Spence to the mix, skillfully imbuing the woodsy Pacific Northwest bark of
the Foxes with a patina of vintage Laurel Canyon-inspired bohemia. Fear Fun opens with "Funtimes in Babylon," one
of three tracks, including "Only Son of the Ladiesman" and "Everyman Needs a Companion," closely echoing the
hymnlike sonic breadth of his former band. All three cater to his strong, clear voice, which sounds like a cross
between Mark Kozelek (Red House Painters, Sun Kil Moon) and Jonathan Meiburg (Shearwater/Okkervil River), but it's
tracks two and three that provide the album with its most transcendent moments. "Nancy from Now On," with its
shambling protagonist ("Pour me another drink and punch me in the face"), likable gait, and legitimate yacht rock
chorus, is a triumph of both style and substance, while the thick and brooding "Hollywood Forever Cemetery Sings,"
which ceaselessly wonders "Jesus Christ girl/What are people going to think?" amidst a wall of wet distortion and
appropriately thunderous drums, benefits from singer/songwriter/Laurel Canyon scene revivalist Jonathan Wilson's
warm and spacious production. Fear Fun's deft mix of folly and grandeur strikes a nice balance between the over the
top hippie shenanigans of Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros and the vapid, calculated debauchery of Lana Del Ray,
painting the artist as a self-destructive/deprecating Californian gadfly with one foot in the Salton Sea and the
other in the lobby of the Chateau Marmont.

Track Listing

1. Funtimes in Babylon
2. Nancy From Now On
3. Hollywood Forever Cemetary Sings
4. I'm Writing a Novel
5. O I Long to Feel Your Arms Around Me
6. Misty's Nightmares 1 & 2
7. Only Son of the Ladiesman
8. This Is Sally Hatchet
9. Well, You Can Do It Without Me
10. Now I'm Learning to Love the War
11. Tee Pees 1-12