online listen
    not my thing, but it may be yours
    nigga on only maybe half of the tracks
    hey, that's a good thing
    1.1 from me and a converted 1.8 from the pros at allmusic

from the album - If You Were My Baby

released Apr 10th, 2012

Bio - from allmusic

The smooth neo-soul/R&B collective Hawthorne Headhunters was spearheaded by Black Spade (aka Stoney Rock) in 2007.
    After moving from St. Louis to Los Angeles, the rapper/producer found a common bond in fellow producers and St.
    Louis natives Proh Mic and I, Ced. The three started recording together, bringing on singer Coultrain, and naming
    the group after I, Ced's home base in Hawthorne, California. However, soon after the Hawthorne Headhunters' debut
    EP was finished, Proh Mic and I, Ced decided to depart the group and pursue solo careers. The Hawthorne Headhunters
    EP was released on HVW8 Records in 2009, and Coultrain and Black Spade continued on as a rap and vocal duo,
    ultimately recording a 14-track album titled Myriad of Now, which was released on Plug Research in 2012.

Album Review - from allmusic

This is the first full-length release from the Los Angeles (by way of St. Louis) duo of Coultrain and Black Spade,
    aka Hawthorne Headhunters. The tracks on the album can be divided into two categories: the self-indulgent messes
    that sound like they were thrown together by talented 14 year olds with access to someone's collection of old Cameo
    LPs, and the quirky but brilliant neo-funk tracks that draw simultaneously on old-school R&B and new-school electro
    to create something both forward-looking and traditional. The unbelievably awkward "Teleport" is a mess; it neither
    features a real melody nor any groove to speak of, nor lyrics worth listening to. "My Sweetheart the Drunk" and
    "Luv Galactic" are both much better, and feature very fine vocals from I Am. "Yellow Cougar" is also much more
    engaging, largely because the beats are straightforward and steady, and the sweetly layered backing vocals (from I
    Am again) give the whole track a lovely sheen. "No Cryin' Now, No Lyin' Down," on the other hand, falls somewhere
    in the middle: the sung melody is a mess, but the harmonies are lovely; the groove is plodding, but at least it's
    solid, whereas "Whirlwind" features a clear and attractive melody and not much else, and "Ghostfields" is an
    instrumental built on a brilliantly funky groove and nicely pairs goofy synthesizer sounds with what sounds like a
    real acoustic guitar. "Fairweather" features some fine tag-team rapping from Von Pea and Haz Solo, and "Hole in the
    World" is electro-soul that chugs along on a sort of house-based beat. "Tribute" ends the album on a staggering 6/8
    non-groove that leaves the listener disoriented and not particularly inspired. Strip out about half of the tracks
    on this program and you'd have a great EP; as a full-length album, though, it's a mixed success at best.

Track Listing

1. Sum People Don't Change
    2. Collage
    3. Luv Galactic Feat. I Am
    4. If You Were My Baby
    5. If You Were My Baby (Reprise)
    6. Boats in Your Eyes
    7. My Sweet Heart the Drunk
    8. Yellow Cougar
    9. No Crying Now, No Lyin' Down
    10. Whirlwind
    11. Ghostfields