PDA

View Full Version : My Chemical Romance News

Music Head
23-12-2009, 01:37
from chart attack

http://www.chartattack.com/files/imagecache/180x150_SC/chart_global/news/mcr_0.jpg

Stop calling My Chemical Romance "emo." Their next album is influenced by cock rock. Or, rather, British Steel.

Way says much of the as-yet-untitled album, which the band are currently recording, is drawn from Judas Priest's music and... kind of surprisingly, Blade Runner.

"[New song 'Death Before Disco'] actually reminded me in an odd way of all the best stuff of the '80s what is called cock rock, but not all of it was," Way told Spinner, pointing out that the vibe of the new track is similar to Priest's "Living After Midnight."

"Judas Priest is considered metal, but it's great rock 'n' roll. It's having nothing to do with that era of metal, the hair rock, but then having everything to do with like the birth of power-anthem metal. After [additional new track] 'Trans Am,' that started to really bleed into the record."

That's kind of an abrupt turn because Way recently said the disc was influenced by the MC5 and Stooges.

Basically, we should all get ready for My Chemical Romance to don full-on makeup and eyeliner for this album as they oh, wait. Right.

As for Blade Runner, Way told the website he'd been watching it quite a lot, along with a "Making Of" film about it, and that both had influenced the new material.

"[Blade Runner director] Ridley Scott was really inspiring, too, just kind of his unwillingness to put the camera down and really capture something special," Way told Spinner. "He wasn't trying to make Star Wars. People were upset by that, but he was very strong in his vision and I think the band was very strong in its vision this time. That's why the record took instead of a month-and-a-half to do four months to track because our barometer for great was very high."

More Blade Runner, less Gladiator. That's all we care about, really.

In addition to "Death Before Disco" and "Trans Am," songs that will appear on the follow-up to 2006's The Black Parade also include "Kiss The Ring" and "The Drugs."

Way previously told Rock Sound magazine he thought the album would be My Chemical Romance's defining work.